Solar Thermal Systems
Mon 10th April 2017, course starts at 6pm.
Course ends Saturday 15th April 2017 at 2pm.
Course fee including full board accommodation:-
Waged £700, Low Waged / Concessions £625.
Dates, Times & Fees
Join students on our MSc Renewable Energy and the Built Environment programme and gain a comprehensive overview of solar thermal systems.
A technical, theoretical and academic course, Solar Thermal Systems aims to give participants a comprehensive overview of the technologies and their uses.
With the recent go ahead from UK government over the RHI for commercial use, Solar Thermal is expected to become more popular for it’s contribution to hot water needs.
Aimed at engineers, planners, system specifiers and architects amongst others, the course covers solar resource, geometry and theory, collectors and systems, large scale systems, system modelling, design standards and regulations, roofs, mounting and installation.
The course will cover the following topics in a series of lectures, discussions, tours, practicals and workshops.
• The solar resource: measuring techniques, solar geometry, shading and sun path diagrams
• Theory of solar collectors and heat storage
• Types of solar collectors and different system approaches
• Solar system design
• Calculation of roofing loads
• Solar applications incorporating heat pumps
• Site assessment.
Participants will gain a knowledge of the properties and technical performance of solar thermal systems and be able to place this specialised knowledge in the context of the design of buildings and the wider subject.
This course is developed and taught by lecturers from the Graduate School of the Environment.
Due to the nature of this course some practical work will be done outside. We strongly advise you to bring waterproof clothing and steel toe-cap boots are mandatory.
You must be over the age of 18 years when this course starts.
To book a place on a course, please choose one of the following options:
• Book Online- the “Book online” button is either below, or in the top right corner of the screen and follow the instructions.
• Call the Courses Department on 01654 704 966 with your bank card details.
Please note: a £100 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place.
The balance of the course fee is due 28 days before the start of the course.
Our course fees include full board accommodation, tuition and materials, unless otherwise stated.
Please also note our Cancellation & Refund Policy
a) The £100 deposit and 1 day course fees are non-refundable.
b) For courses of 2 days or more when you give us this notice of cancellation:
• 28 days or more – refund minus your £100 deposit.
• 8 to 27 days notice – refund minus your £100 deposit for sales of £200 or under. On sales over £200 - 50% refund.
• 7 days notice or under – no refund.
c) CAT reserves the right to cancel any courses. Deposits and fees will be returned in full should this happen.