Advanced Timber Frame Joints
Thurs 7th - Sun 10th Sept 2017
Course starts at 10am and ends at 4pm on the last day.
Course fee including full board accommodation:-
Waged £600, Low waged / Concessions £500.
Dates, Times & Fees
Following our hugely popular 1 day Traditional Timber Frame Joints course we are now offering a 4 day Advanced course.
We’re assuming you already know the basics about how to measure, mark out and cut typical joints used in timber framing, but if not, you might consider taking the our one day course first.
So you’ve decided you are ready? Great! Then join your tutor and Master Craftsman Carwyn Jones as we take you to the next level.
Through practical sessions you’ll learn all about:
• The features, benefits and various applications of the beautiful and traditional mortise and tenon timber joint.
• Layout systems including mapping and mill, scribe or square rules.
• Tools – for layout, cutting and boring.
• Procedures for layout and cutting.
• Finishing, detailing and improving your technique.
You will be working inside the CAT builders hall and our class sizes are deliberately small to make sure you get the most time applying the techniques you are learning.
You’ll also take a tour of the experimental and innovative timber frame buildings across the CAT site that have been built over the last 40 years. We will use these buildings and other demonstration structures on site as a reference to the joints you will be creating.
The course is for you if you are considering your own timber frame project, big or small, a whole or part structure, whether on your own or as part of community group and want to add beautiful and traditional features to the design.
Your tutor Carwyn has been working in construction industry for over 20 years and is an expert in timber framing, including many of the buildings around the CAT site.
Your first day will be 10am – 7.30pm, then 9.30am – 5.30pm each day thereafter, finishing at 4pm on the last day.
The course includes 3 delicious vegetarian meals a day and accommodation on site in the award winning WISE building.
Due to the nature of this course some practical work will be done outside. We strongly advise you to bring waterproof clothing and steel toe-cap boots are mandatory.
You must be over the age of 18 years when this course starts.
To book a place on a course, please choose one of the following options:
• Book Online- the “Book online” button is either below, or in the top right corner of the screen and follow the instructions.
• Call the Courses Department on 01654 704 966 with your bank card details.
Please note: a £100 non-refundable deposit is required to secure your place.
The balance of the course fee is due 28 days before the start of the course.
Our course fees include full board accommodation, tuition and materials, unless otherwise stated.
Please also note our Cancellation & Refund Policy
a) The £100 deposit and 1 day course fees are non-refundable.
b) For courses of 2 days or more when you give us this notice of cancellation:
• 28 days or more – refund minus your £100 deposit.
• 8 to 27 days notice – refund minus your £100 deposit for sales of £200 or under. On sales over £200 - 50% refund.
• 7 days notice or under – no refund.
c) CAT reserves the right to cancel any courses. Deposits and fees will be returned in full should this happen.