Mindfulness in the Woods
Sat 25th - Sun 26th March 2017.
Course starts at 10am and ends at 4:30pm on the last day.
Course fee:- Waged £90, Low Waged/Concessions £70.
Dates, Times & Fees
• Come and learn the skills of mindfulness practice in the tranquil natural setting of a local woodland.
• Enjoy the benefits of mindful awareness and pick up new tools to apply the practice to your own life.
• Experience yourself, your mind, body and heart, and the woodlands, in a refreshingly vital and direct way.
• Learn some of the basic techniques of traditional woodland management and coppice craft in a mindful, calm and clear environment.
The day will include:
• A brief introduction to the theory and principles of mindfulness.
• A series of nature-based meditative exercises designed to heighten and develop the tools of mindful awareness.
• Some basic instruction on the application of mindfulness to woodland management and green woodwork.
• Time for reflection, meditation, and nature contemplation in the context of a safe group environment.
The weekend will be divided into two parts: on day one we will focus on woodland management, and on day two we will focus on green-woodworking.On the Saturday we will undertake activities appropriate both to the season, and to the current management plan objectives for CAT's woodland, Coed Gwern. This is likely to involve a mixture of path clearance, scrub bashing, high pruning, and some small-scale coppicing of broadleaf trees. Our aim is to integrate this practical conservation work with the practice of mindfulness and meditation, and so will involve periods of inward contemplation, group discussion, and exercises aimed at heightening our sense of connection with the landscape.
On the Sunday, we will spend some time getting to know some of the basic skills, tools, and techniques of green woodworking. In keeping with the traditional 'sustainable woodland management' year, in which the winter time we gather and harvest material whilst the sap is down and the trees are sleeping, we will move on to practical and (potentially!) beautiful ways of shaping and working with wood to produce useful products. This will involve a basic introduction to the pole lathe, shave horse, chopping blocks, and carving tools, as well as sharpening processes and clamping devices. Again, the emphasis is on the balancing of inner work with outer work, and on cultivating a holistic perspective on the well being of both people and place.
Your tutor will be Gareth Fysh-Foskett, a former Buddhist monk who has spent much of the past decade living, working and meditating in woodlands.
Your session will run from 10am – 4.30pm, and will include break periods for tea and lunch.
Some of the day will be held in silence, but there will be opportunities for discussion as well as independent learning.
There will be exercises that are both physically active and co-operative, as well as periods of inward reflection.
Participants are asked to bring their own weather-appropriate outdoor clothing (waterproofs, wellies, sunblock etc.) and a packed lunch, though tea and healthy snacks will be provided. You can also order a delicious vegetarian packed lunch from CAT for £10 with your course and we can cater for special dietary requirements such as vegan and gluten free.
Make it a mini-break.
At CAT we offer self-catering, B&B, half board and full board accommodation on-site, in both en-suite private rooms and shared dorm rooms from as little as £20/night.
More details are available here
Call us on 01654 704 966 to book accommodation.
Due to the nature of this course some practical work will be done outside. We strongly advise you to bring waterproof clothing and steel toe-cap boots are mandatory.
You must be over the age of 18 on the day this course starts.
To book a place on a course, please choose one of the following options:
• Book Online- the “Book online” button is either below, or in the top right corner of the screen and follow the instructions.
• Call the Courses Department on 01654 704 966 with your bank card details.
Our course fees include tuition and materials, unless otherwise stated.
Please also note our Cancellation & Refund Policy
a) 1 or 2 day course fees are non-refundable.
b) CAT reserves the right to cancel any courses. Deposits and fees will be returned in full should this happen.